Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Bowdoin Log and the Chemistry of Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuikVneq9qg

This is a short video with the recipe of the Bowdoin Log. A tradition at the cafeteria where I started getting over my fear of cooking. How fitting when one considers that "Hockey Pucks" was one of the recipes I created that summer I was 14 and thrown into being chief cook and bottle washer at the farm. The other famous one was "Flour Frosting" based on my rudimentary knowledge of the science of baking. Chemistry applied to food science--actually there is a lot of chemistry in cooking. It's a good place to start with learning to take care of yourself; learning to cook. And the enjoyment of food echoes an enjoyment of life which then brings love into your home and your heart.

There's a folk song I know that goes, "Teach my children how to sing." Perhaps if we taught our children how to cook first. Many do...So here's a link to a list of top ten children's cookbooks.

http://childrensbooks.about.com/od/themesubjectbooksby/tp/cookbooks.htm

Teach MY children how to cook! Singing is not a bad idea either.

No comments:

Post a Comment